Wednesday, August 13, 2014

World Cup 2014

The World Cup is a big deal in the Santos house. My first memory of World Cup craziness was in 1998, that year Brasil came runners up to France. I was too young to really get into it, all I knew is my family thought it was an ugly game and any topic about France was not a good one in the house for a while. In 2002 I really got into the Cup, partly because my dad would wake me up at 2am or 3am to watch Brasil play (it was held in Japan and South Korea) but mostly because they WON!! From then on I have been hooked, I love the game and the excitement that comes when national teams play against each other. After 2002 we as a family had a goal to one day go and watch a World Cup game live. My dad always said the only other place he rather watch Brasil play other than a stadium would be in Brasil. So when it was announced that Brasil would be hosting, we knew this was the cup to get tickets to. To our amazement we got 8 tickets to our first choice game, and in the first round of ticket sales. Pure luck.

So on the 4th of July we traded in our traditional Red, White, and Blue for Green, Yellow, and Blue. As much as I love the USA, when it comes to soccer there is only one jersey I wear. However I'm supper happy with how the USA did, and look forward to much more soccer success (as long as they are not playing against Brasil that is)

Being in the stadium and singing the national anthem I only sang in car rides with my dad growing up is something I will never forget. So much pride and love of country was felt. Ask me about the game and I would only have good things to say about my team. It is much different watching a game live than on TV, so I'm sure I would have more critiques had I not seen it in person. Either way I was over joyed that we won, and I'm glad I did not have to be in the stadium when they lost. 

Many people ask what it was like being there during the horrific defeat against Germany. To be honest when I sat there and watching on TV I thought it had to be some kind of mean joke... I mean really did you see the game? But in the end there was still music in the street after the game, even if we were all in shock for a few days. 

Still looking forward to a sixth star being placed on that bright yellow jersey one day.

Eu sou brasileiro, com muito orgulho, com muito amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment